Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Defining Modernism Exercise #1

1.      The paintings differ in several ways, such as shading, texture and depth.  For example, Still Life with Bottle of Olives shows shading and creates depth so that the wooden table look 3 Dimensional.  Also, compared to Still life with Grapes and Clarinet, Still Life with Bottle of Olives has a much more subtle background, just dark brown and black, whereas Still life with Grapes and Clarinet has polka dots and different shades of blue.  In texture, the gourd in Still life with Bottle of Olives has crevices and groves on it that complete the look of real food on a table.

2.      I think painters of 1B, 2B, 3B, and 4B chose to paint the portraits as they did, because they were showing their own unique look at the world. I think the point that they were trying to make was that we are in our own time now, and we should not have to paint the world in the same way as the people before us saw it.  We should be able to paint it the way we see it now.


3.      Painting 1A makes me feel like I am going to sit down at my grandmother’s for Thanksgiving dinner. 1B feels almost like the days when I was in first grade because I would often draw like that. 2A makes me feel like there is a family problem since there is at look of pity on the woman’s face. Painting 2B makes me feel like I am in an old Pink Panther cartoon and that the man is one of the characters.  It feels almost homey.  3A has almost a pitiful feeling to it because the poor looking girl can’t give the man what he is asking for. 3B feels classy because I can almost hear the Jazz music in my head.  4A has a childish feeling to it because of the light blue dress on the girl’s face. I prefer the previous centuries’ paintings; because I find that is had more life and more realistic facial expressions.       


No comments:

Post a Comment